Shell Oil accidentally spills hundreds of thousands of pounds of toxic gas in Deer Park
Dylan Baddour, Houston Chronicle Updated 2:29 pm, Wednesday, August 12, 2015
According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, long-term exposure to butadiene has been linked to increased likelihood of cardiovascular disease and leukemia.
On Sunday morning, hundreds of thousands of pounds of toxic gas were accidentally released from the Shell Oil facility in Deer Park.
According to reports from the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality, 326,166 pounds of butadiene escaped through an open valve on a spherical tank between 10:40 am and 11:35 am.
Thank you to Tar Sands Blockade